Monday, July 14, 2008

Sitting Pretty


www.domino.com

The light, airiness of this room appeals to me. In a way it reminds me of the living room in the house we grew up in. My mother, perhaps one of my biggest style influences, missed her calling. I'm not saying she wasn't a truly fabulous fashion editor during her years at Vogue and Glamour magazines, but her true passion lay in interior design. In her version of this room, she effortlessly mixed antiques passed down through the generations of our family with modern, minimalist pieces she herself designed while living in Asia. Along the walls, she commissioned secret bookshelves, accessible only when pushed in the right spot, which she filled from floor to ceiling with issues of Vogue magazine! One of my favorite details was the white grand piano we had in the corner of our living room. The entire top was covered in 5" x 7" black and white photos of family. Included was one particularly sassy photograph of my maternal grandparents, walking arm in arm on their way down the dock to board a ship to embark on their honeymoon. In it, my grandmother looks the epitome of chic, wearing a floor length leopard fur coat, and my grandfather looking so handsome in a double-breasted pinstripe suit & a fedora, slanted ever so casually. Their era was the definition of fashion divinity.

No comments: