Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spring '09




www.tenthousandvillages.com

With our new president, and new awareness has come a new era. Lifestyles of the American people are changing (and if they aren't, they certainly should be). Excess and unnecessary expense is not the desired path anymore (I know this statement is going to get me into trouble in some future blog post, but for now, I'm trying to make a point). And, as our First Lady has already demonstrated, one thing that shouldn't be effected - despite a more than turbulent economic time - is our sense of style as a nation.

This morning I found myself sitting under the dryer with enough tinfoil on my head to be mistaken for a U.F.O. communication devise, and a divinely thick (roughly eight inches if I had to say) stack of Hearst Publication's finest. Salon day has become my magazine catch-up day. With every turn of the page the same trend in accessories stared back at me; geometrics, geometrics, geometrics. While I won't be dedicating my entire spring to one style, I have fallen in love with this brass necklace from the Bombolulu Workshops in Kenya. Available from the uber socio-conscious website, Ten Thousand Villages, this necklace was created by blind and physically disabled artisans in Mombasa. It is so beautiful, I wish I had designed it myself.

No comments: